REPOST FROM THE KIVA FELLOWS BLOG
Sheethal Shobowale, KF9, Peru
“Be the change you wish to see in the world” -Mahatma Gandhi
That’s why I wanted to be a Kiva Fellow. In honor of Mahatma Gandhi’s birthday today (Oct 2nd), I am glad to say that my Kiva Fellow colleagues and I are living the change we wish to see by helping people much less fortunate than us.
Sheethal Shobowale at Kiva Fellows Training
My name is Sheethal Shobowale. I am a New Yorker and the daughter of Indian immigrants. Through my recently founded company, Leap Work, I help non-profits with online communications – development, social media, audience research and analytics online. In my free time, I facilitate discussions about financial literacy for youth and conduct credit counseling for adults as well as coordinate my local block association. I also love rock climbing and cooking.
I am excited to work as a Kiva Fellow with Asociación Arariwa in Cusco, Peru starting next week. I look forward to sharing stories of positive change with you! You can also follow @LethalSheethal on Twitter to get (more) real-time updates from Cusco.
Please consider lending to Asociación Arariwa borrowers on Kiva or join Kiva Lending Team Amigos/as de Asociación Arariwa in your future loans.
Thanks for supporting Kiva!
Kiva’s mission is to connect people through lending to alleviate poverty.
Kiva Fellows support that mission by being the on the ground connector between the Microfinance Institution and Kiva. Please read more about my Kiva Fellowship here.
Here are a couple more ways to support Kiva and my Kiva Fellowship in Peru:
1. Buy a Kiva gift certificate for me:
With the Kiva gift certificate, I can make a loan to a Kiva borrower and as the loan is paid back, I can withdraw the money to use for my Kiva Fellowship. This support Kiva’s borrowers and my Kiva Fellowship. Here is my Kiva lender page: http://www.kiva.org/lender/LethalSheethal
Here’s how to purchase a Kiva gift certificate:
- Go to Kiva’s gift certificate page
- Choose the amount
- Choose the number of gift certificates
- Enter my First Name, Last Name, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org and confirm it
- Enter a personal message (For example: “Hope you don’t get Dengue Fever!” or “Please lend to a widow in Cambodia, if available” or something more personal that would make me smile when I’m feeling lonely reading it from Cusco)
- Click “Purchase Kiva Gift Certificate(s)”
- Click “Agree to Terms of Service”
- Decide if you would like to “tip” Kiva with a donation to their operating costs (Remember, Kiva is dedicated to transparency. 100% of all loans go directly to the borrower. Kiva does not take any portion of your loan amount for their operating costs)
- Review your purchase. If you already have a Kiva account and have Kiva credit, you can use that credit to buy a gift certificate
- Click “Purchase” If you don’t have enough Kiva credit, this step will take you to PayPal
- Log-in to PayPal or use your credit card
- Complete your purchase
Voilá! You have supported a Kiva borrower and my Kiva Fellowship!
Buy a Kiva Gift Certificate - Support Kiva and My Kiva Fellowship
Continue reading to learn more ways to support Kiva… Continue reading
Going Away / Kiva Support Party
Featuring Bulldog lemonade and pisco sours by Mixologist Sheethal, arepas, beans and rice, BBQ by Grillmaster Tokumbo and red velvet cupcakes by CakeMan Raven, the party was a blast! I got to talk to many friends and meet some new ones. I also introduced Kiva to some people who had never heard of the organization before.
Thank you all so much for your support of my work with Kiva. I have collected so many good thoughts from the Going Away Party and so many personal messages from those who could not make it that I will keep with me during my trip.
Some of you have said that my work is inspiring to you. That is very kind. I think many of us do great things to support our local communities and help make the world better. This has been a dream of mine for a long time. I am looking forward to doing a small part to support Kiva’s mission and learn more about the reality of microfinance in the rural Cusco region.
As the days are counting down to my departure, I’m getting excited but also realizing how much I will miss my husband, my family and my friends during my time away. Fulfilling a dream comes with sacrifice but this experience will be priceless. Thank you again for all of your support!
- bike tune up from Bespoke Bicycles = KIRAN
- dinner for two at Deniz, the yummy Turkish restaurant on Fulton = COLLEEN
- dinner for two at iCi, seasonal menus from locally-sourced ingredients in a brownstone parlor = HELENE
- $50 gift certificate for Aqualis Grill, mediterranean specializing in fish = MICHELLE
- 1 hour tennis lesson from Master Pro Kiran Rao = CAROL
- 1 hour tennis lesson from Master Pro Kiran Rao = LORENE
- Orientation Package for the Manhattan Plaza Climbing Gym = TARA
- Orientation Package for the Manhattan Plaza Climbing Gym = MARCIA
- bottle of Peruvian Pisco = STACEY
- bottle of Bulldog Gin = CAROL
- The Blue Sweater book by Jacqueline Novagratz, founder of the Acumen Fund = CHARLES
Congratulations to everyone who won! And thanks again to all of the entrepreneurs who generously donated fantastic prizes for the raffle. Please support local businesses by patronizing their stores and restaurants and support Peruvian entrepreneurs with loans through Kiva.
Photos from the party!
Vodpod videos no longer available.
And please see my friend Lorene’s photos on Facebook.