I just signed up for a sprint triathlon online and noticed a misuse of Google Analytics campaign tracking –
Look below at the Registration Website and Race Website…
My hunch is that they wanted to track incoming traffic from an email they sent out to their list serve. Looks like they tried to use the same URL for website traffic.
Couple of major things wrong with this:
- Campaign parameters without a proper URL does nothing for your business. Users can’t even get to the website to accomplish their task, let alone give you any info on where they came from.
- Using the same campaign parameters for email and website traffic doesn’t distinguish where the traffic is coming from because it will all be lumped together. This basically defeats the purpose of campaign tracking. Without more info about their campaign setup, this is the observation I make.
Here’s my guess of what the URL could have looked like :
With this URL, the marketer can track:
- Medium = Email (utm_medium=email)
- Source = Buzz (utm_source=buzz)
- Campaign = Buzz09012 (utm_campaign=buzz09012)
I would have some feedback on the way they have spelled out the campaign parameters, but I’ll leave that for another post.