I just recently finished my Kiva Fellow placement with Asociación Arariwa in Cusco and just moved to La Paz, Bolivia to work with Emprender for 3 months.
- Returning Kiva Coordinator: Raquel, the Kiva coordinator at Arariwa has just returned from maternity leave and now Boris (her replacement) and Raquel are working together at Arariwa to post a larger number of Arariwa loans on Kiva. It was such a pleasure to work with them both and I miss them
- New Volunteer: My friend Maurice has been working as a volunteer at Arariwa for the last month, visiting Kiva entrepreneurs and writing journal updates for lenders Here’s a beautiful story about Cirila, a Kiva entrepreneur from Anta, one of the provinces around Cusco
- How to Tell if Your Money is Fake: See my latest Kiva Fellows blog entry Falso! A Musing on Fake Money in Peru
- Jungle Fever: Check out photos from Tokumbo, Jeremiah (my brother) and my trip to Manu, one of the rain forest regions of Peru
- Gran Manzana: La Paz is so much bigger and cosmopolitan than Cusco. Being a New Yorker and having spent time in India, you’d think I would be ready for it…but I wasn’t. Check out the photo. It seems to go on forever…
- Emprender has 6 branches in La Paz as well as offices in Santa Cruz and Cochabamba. I have been to 3 of the La Paz branches to visit clients so far plus I’m worked from the central office in Sopocachis. The entrepreneurs I have met so far are such nice people and the branch managers/loan officers have been so welcoming and fun. Look out for my journal updates and in the meantime, here is a link to loan to Emprender entrepreneurs on Kiva
- Local fiestas: This weekend I was invited to a local festival in a small town called Caquiaviri in honor of San Antonio Abad, patron and protector of caquiavireños (people from Caquiaviri) This aymara pre carnival event is accompanied of Ch’utas dancers, flutes and Tarkas groups
- Transport: My favorite topic! In La Paz, Once every seat is taken on a minibus, they don’t allow more people on the bus. What a difference from Cusco! And so much more humane.
I’d love to hear from you! Please say hello if you have a moment! I miss New York and would to hear what’s going on in your world.
Not a Kiva Lender yet? Visit Kiva.org to start lending today!